Sunday, April 21, 2013

The fifth day and overall experience

Thursday was the last day of our trip. Overall, it may have left the biggest impact on me. We did a lot of hiking today and we did a water drop. This is when we all carried one or two gallons of water and left them for the migrants to find. For me, this was the point of the trip where it all felt real. We were directly aiding the migrants who would be walking through the desert, incredibly thirsty, and find the water that we left for them.

I learned so much in this week. Going into the trip, I did not know much, if anything, about immigration. I didn't realize just how hard it was to go from one country to another. I now have so much more respect for those people who desire the freedom they shouldn't have to fight for. During our reflection on Thursday night, Ms. Amuzie said, "These people are our modern day superheroes." She makes a good point. They literally risk their lives, and sometimes lose their lives, to give their families a better chance at life. They shouldn't have to struggle to gain something most of us take for granted every day. On the first night we arrived, we were asked why we were here and what we hoped to gain from this experience. I said that I wanted to gain more knowledge of and respect for those who migrate because they are people too and deserve to be treated that way. I definitely feel as though I achieved both of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment