Sunday, April 14, 2013

Day 1

At the airport, we were guided to the San Miguel Highschool. We got our stuff situated and then went out to lunch since we were all ravishing because of the 3 hour time change! Our guide took us to a local restaurant called Egees. We were informed that this was a popular hang out of the high school students. The good was good. After that, we returned to the school and played games learn everyone's names. The three San Miguel high school student tour guides are Carmen, Nicole, and Gabby. I like then all because they are extremely friendly and informative. We viewed all of the campus before attending mass at the University of Arizona. It was a beautiful mass! My masses in Rhode Island, St. Augustine's has 20-30 minute sunday masses and 45 minutes on special days of obligation. These masses are referred to as the ''Drive-thru'' masses. This mass was over an hour long but I enjoyed it so much more than my regular short masses. in this church, we were lucky to witness the Bishop give mass since it happened to be the mass of a confirmation. There was beautiful singing! I loved it because it kept audience members, of all ages interested and engaged in the mass. Everyone was able to sing along since the words appeared on a huge digital screen. The whole church atmosphere was so much more personal and comftorable. People hugged and kissed instead of giving handshakes of peace. I prefer this way, but maybe that's becuase I'm a purple/ touchy-feely person. I also loved how the bishop addressed each confirmation candidate personally. He seened to know alot about them and it showed that the bishop was actually close to the candidates. I want this kind of atmosphere to be brought to my church in RI! To wrap up our first day, we all particpated in evening prayer, journaling, and discussion. Everyone wrote down or chose to share their knowledge, thoughts, and opinions towards immigration. It was extremely valuable to find out what this retreat means to other people in the group. I loved hearing how each person inte group has had family members or they themselves were affected by immigration. The honesty that was being shared not only gave me more insight and understanding of the people in t group but gave me an increased respect and compassion for then as well. I'm extremely tired but still excited for tomorrow. Can't wait to see what else is jn store out here in Tucson!

- Adianna

1 comment:

  1. Bishop Kicanas is a wonderful man. I have met him a few times and am always amazed at how he remembers names and facts about people.

    Hope you have a great week!!

    BFred

    ReplyDelete